Program Coordinator – Bridge to Health Medical and Dental Toronto, ON
Bridge to Health is a rapidly growing humanitarian organization that is expanding the size, number and scope of projects. We are looking for a full-time Program Coordinator to facilitate the many working parts of a nimble and forward-thinking non-governmental organization. A successful candidate may be required to accompany our brigade on-site in Africa, Asia or Northern Ontario.
Founded in 2012 in Toronto, Bridge to Health Medical and Dental is comprised of a passionate group of medical and dental professionals brought together by a common desire to help provide healthcare to those in tremendous need. Our aim is to provide sustainable healthcare in a cost effective manner and to have a lasting impact on the communities we serve.
We currently operate in underserved rural communities of Uganda and Ethiopia, and are exploring expansion into Vietnam, India, Ethiopia, Northern Ontario and potentially elsewhere. In Uganda, we work in collaboration with Kigezi Healthcare Foundation (KIHEFO), a reputable local non- governmental organization. In Ethiopia, we plan to work with the District and Zonal Ministries of Health serving rural tribes, primarily through a local health center. In other destinations we have identified local partner organizations including Health Networks, NGOs, Ministries of Health and Academia.
Residents of numerous impoverished communities around the world will never have the luxury of seeing a physician, let alone afford life-saving medications or surgical interventions. Consequently, many patients go without diagnosis or treatment of conditions such as HIV/AIDS, diabetes, maternal child health conditions, among others. The medical professionals of Bridge to Health work with local health care professionals to treat patients in these communities, build sustainable solutions to long-term medical care and improve quality of life for residents.
Dental care is so limited that most people in these communities have never had their teeth cleaned, or even brushed their teeth. For the dental professionals of Bridge to Health, it is an opportunity to relieve painful oral infections, introduce basic dental care and work collaboratively with local dental professionals in an effective knowledge exchange. This yields the opportunity to initiate a community-based oral hygiene prevention program aimed at breaking the cycle of chronic periodontal disease, which can lead to multiple tooth extractions, poor nutrition and infection.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work independently, but with close collaboration and supervision from Executive Director and the Board of Bridge to Health
- Research new opportunities for funding and lead development of public and private grant applications
- Collaborate with partners around the world to plan for healthcare brigades and implement/maintain development projects
- Coordinate with doctors, dentists, nurses, pharmacists and other Bridge to Health volunteers
- Assist in administrative duties such as organizing meetings, maintaining online data repositories and other areas as identified by Directors
- Report weekly on progress and updates of projects
- Fluency in English (spoken and written)
- Must have access to reliable internet, own personal computer system and be able to travel internationally if needed
- Must be extremely organized and competent with email, including possessing the ability to coordinate and manage a high amount of daily communications
- Bachelor’s degree at a minimum, a Master’s degree in Public Health or related field preferred.
- A minimum of 1-2 years in a relevant field (or an equivalent combination of education and
- Successful candidates must have demonstrated past experiences working with a global health
team in a similar capacity, with specific experience applying for and obtaining grant funding
- Past experience working with Government agencies is a plus
- This is a contract position for 12 months.
- This is not an employment position. The ability to operate as an independent contractor is required.
- Ability to live and work in Toronto, Canada is a bonus, but not mandatory
Pay commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants should forward an updated CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com